Friday 2 December 2011

Blended Assignments


Blended Assignment

               When I was approximately 15 years old I traveled to Cuba. It was a family trip with my father’s side of the family. We were in Havana Cuba, it was the beginning of January we arrived in the morning time. When I got off the plain we were greeted with beers and cigar vendors. They basically tried to sell and offer me beer and cigars. That struck myself, a 15 year old boy awesome. We went through the airport people were jumping at us trying to take our bags to make the small time tips. Everywhere I looked there were pictures of Castro. Paintings, t-shirts, on the sides of busses, mugs basically anywhere you went he was on something. It struck me as kind of weird but I never thought anything of it. So we took a bus to the resort. We saw people on dirt bikes, family’s on four wheelers and people in raggedy clothes doing god knows what. It was the first place I traveled out of Canada and it was quite the eye opener on how other countries lived.
               Meanwhile on the resort there were armed guards surrounding the compound with shotguns M-16 assault rifles, it was a cool thing to see because they were doing tricks with the guns and making it a little less intimidating then a stiff army man with a gun in his hand. I thought it was cool. Now that I look back on it I realize why they had guns and how serious a situation could break out. I was told they were there so outside people cannot jump the walls and rob the tourists. Either way myself being 15 years old didn’t realize the severity of what was happening I can look back at it now and I can make sense of what I saw and realize how lucky I am to be a Canadian citizen in with a wonderful government that loves me and taxes me huge. J

1 comment:

  1. If taxes keep the roads paved, the education, industrial complexes and other businesses running, I'm happy to pay taxes. And so should you.

    ReplyDelete